So, whether your sales skills are feeling stale or if you’re new to the job, here are 7 helpful tips that will help you turn on the salesperson charm.
1. Understand Your FieldPerhaps the most crucial aspect of selling a good or service is understanding the product and why people want it.
If you’re trying to sell a high-end road bike but have never ridden one yourself, your knowledge of weight, speed, and design will be nil, and prospective clients will be able to tell.
Nobody will buy anything from you if you don’t know what you’re talking about, so even if you don’t want to go cycling, reading up on the topic to gain some talking points is a good idea.
2. Confidence Is KeyPeople often think that only naturally confident and outgoing people can succeed in sales, but that’s simply not true. Plenty of shy individuals can train themselves to become sales experts by understanding what works and what doesn’t.
By gaining knowledge of your industry and your clientele, your confidence will grow, and the confidence that your customers have in you will grow too.
3. Practice, Practice, PracticeSome skills come more naturally than others. If you are great at selling in person but not over the phone, push yourself out of your comfort zone and aim to sell on the phone more often.
The only way to learn a skill or improve your existing skills is to practice and let go of the fear of failing.
4. Pay Attention to What WorksWhat did you do when your last sale went well? What about the last time it didn’t work out?
Keeping track of your hits and misses will help you determine what works with your clientele. Pay attention and notice how your customers react to different tactics to tell where you’re succeeding and where you’re falling short.
5. Shake Things UpIf your techniques feel stagnant – it’s probably because they are. The world of sales is ever-changing, and if you’ve been using the same methods for the past five or ten years, you’ll need some fresh material.
Try out a new approach or ask your successful colleagues for tips and tricks. Stagnation and arrogance won’t get you anywhere in this business, but curiosity and willingness to learn will.
6. Take a CourseThe internet is full of excellent resources, and if you need a sales refresher, why not take a course? There are plenty of opportunities out there and seeking them out and dedicating some time to these resources can go a long way in increasing your sale success stories.
7. Listen to Your CustomersWhen in doubt, pay close attention to your customer base. Understand who they are, what they’re looking for and what makes them tick. While no two clients are the same, there will be more similarities than differences, and you’ll pick up on patterns quickly.
When it comes to sales, learning and doing is the name of the game. You can’t just sit back and hope your skills improve, you have to create your solutions, and with these tips, you can!
Looking to Succeed in a Thriving Sales Environment?
Look No Further than LinkNow!At LinkNow, our success isn’t measured in dollars, but rather in how happy our sales team is. They’re the beating heart of our whole operation—and we’re always looking for new members to join them!
If you’re looking for a sales job where you can work from the comfort of your home, check out our Jobs board to see what positions we have available.